* Home * Loney home * Life & career * Documents * Album * Ships * Portrait * Uniform * Background * * Search this site * 
William Loney RN - Background

Home-Loney-Background-The Royal Navy-Obituaries

The following obituary for Charles Fellowes appeared in the Times newspaper.

Obituary from the Times newspaper
DateObituary
9 March 1886We have to record the death of Vice-Admiral Charles Fellowes, C.B., senior officer in command of the Channel Squadron, which occurred suddenly yesterday morning on the Minotaur of congestion of the liver. A Reuter telegram says that he had been ailing for some days, but that his death was quite unexpected. Charles Fellowes was a son of the late Admiral Sir Thomas Fellowes, K.C.B., by his marriage with Mary Anne Catharine, only child of the late Colonel Isaac Humphreys, of the Bengal Artillery, and was born in 1823. He entered the Royal Navy in 1836, passed his examination in 1842, and having served as mate on the Plymouth, North America and West India, and Pacific stations, on board the Caledonia, the Illustrious, and the America, obtained a lieutenancy in 1846, and joined the Collingwood, bearing the flag of Admiral Sir George Seymour, Commander-in-Chief in the Pacific. In January, 1847, he was attached to the Superb. He was employed in the Burmese war in 1852, and in all the operations against the pirates in China, for which services he was promoted to the rank of commander in 1855. He was advanced to a captaincy in 1858 in recognition of his services at the capture of Fatshun and Canton, where he was engaged with the Naval Brigade. From 1870 till 1873 he was employed as captain of the Steam Reserve at Devonport, and he was captain superintendant of Chatham Dockyard from 1874 to 1876, when he was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral and appointed Admiral Superintendent, a post which he retained till 1879. He became Vice-Admiral in 1880, and was nominated a Companion of the Order of the Bath in 1871. Admiral Fellowes married, in 1859, Louisa, daughter of Mr. J. Tod, of Ainslie-place, Edinburgh.
17 March 1886The Late Admiral Fellowes. - The remains of Vice-Admiral Fellowes, late Commander-in-Chief of the Channel Squadron, were removed from the Minotaur at Spithead yesterday morning and forwarded to their destination. The ceremony was strictly official; the dockyard was closed to the public, and the procession was confined to the narrow limits of the trooping jetty. At half-past 9 o'clock a flotilla of gunboats and other small craft under the command of Captain Colomb steamed out of the harbour for the purpose of escorting the body to the shore. On reaching Spithead the Seahorse proceeded to the Minotaur, the other vessels forming line at a considerable distance from the flagship. The ship's company had been mustered on the upper deck with a guard or honour composed of Royal Marines on the poop, and when the Seahorse came alongside, the coffin, which was covered with floral tributes mainly contributed by the officers of the ships constituting the late Admiral's command, was brought from below, and the funeral service was read by the Rev. Charles Mullins, chaplain of the Minotaur. The ship's bell was tolled and the Marines saluted as the body was removed from the quarter-deck to the entry-port, the pall being borne by Inspector-General Dick, Captain Theobald, Colonel Commandant Jones, R.M.L.I, Captain Inglis, Rear-Admiral Herbert, Captain Tracey, Colonel Commandant Bridges, R.M.A., and Captain Hamond. Following the corpse were the relatives of the deceased, the personal staff, and the officers of the ship. On the conclusion of the religious service the coffin was transferred to the Seahorse, which thereupon moved slowly away flying the late Admiral's flag half high at the fore. The band played the "Dead March" and the ship began firing minute guns. As the Seahorse, piloted by the Sprightly, and bearing the body passed the flotilla, the vessels fell into their places behind with all their ensigns lowered, and proceeded slowly into harbour, where all the men-of-war had half-masted their flags with the first gun from the Minotaur. Guards of honour had been sent from the ships constituting the harbour squadron, and lined, not only the jetty itself, but the whole of the way as far as the railway station. The body was landed and conveyed to the railway carriage by a party of bluejackets, the procession being joined by Admiral Sir George Willes, General Sir George Willis, and a large number of naval officers in uniform. The train left for Edinburgh shortly after 13 o’clock.
Top  

 * Home * Loney home * Life & career * Documents * Album * Ships * Portrait * Uniform * Background *
Valid HTML 5.0