Royal Navy obituary in the Times newspaper
Royal Navy obituary in the Times newspaper

Royal NavyObituaries

The following obituary for Barrington Reynolds appeared in the Times newspaper.

Obituary in the Times newspaper
5 August 1861We have to announce the death of Admiral Sir Barrington Reynolds, K.C.B., who expired at an early hour on Saturday morning at Penair, his residence, near Truro. The gallant admiral was the son of Rear-Admiral Robert C. Reynolds, who was lost in the St. George, 98, on returning home from the Baltic in December, 1811, and was born in 1785. The deceased officer entered the navy as a first-class volunteer soon after he had completed his tenth year; he was midshipman on board the Amazon, 36, when in company with the Indefatigable, 46, L'Unité, 33, and La Virginie, 44, were captured. In January, 1797, he was wrecked and taken prisoner near Ile Bas, at the close of a gallant action of ten hours with Les Droits de L’Homme, 74, also wrecked. On regaining his liberty in January of the following year he was appointed to La Pomone, in which he assisted in the capture of Le Chéri, French privateer, of 26 guns. He shortly afterwards joined the Indefatigable, Capt. Sir Edward Pelew (afterwards Lord Exmouth), under whom he contributed to the capture of La Vaillante corvette. Under the same famous commander he served with the squadron sent in the summer of 1800 to co-operate with the French Royalists and Chouans, in Quiberon Bay, and the Morbihan, and in August accompanied the expedition against Ferrol. For his gallantry in several sucessful boat actions with the enemy he was promoted to the rank of Lieut. In the boats of the Diana, on the night of the 28th of March, 1806, Lieut. Reynolds captured Le Néarque, of 16 guns, off L’Orient, the rearmost of a French squadron, without being discovered by the three French frigates, her consorts. Afterwards he proceeded to the East Indies, and early in 1811 he was appointed to the command of the Hesper, 18, part of the force employed in the expedition against Java, where he assisted at the bombardment and storming of Fort Cornelis, and served on shore with a party of seamen throughout all the operations. After the reduction of the town of Cheribon he was appointed Commandant, pro tem., of that place. As a reward for his distinguished services in the subjugation of that island, he was appointed to the command of the frigate Sir Francis Drake, and was in the following year removed by the Commander-In-Chief, Sir Samuel Hood, into the Bucephalus, 32, in which he continued until paid off in 1813. From impaired health engendered by the climate of the East Indies he was not employed for several years. From October, 1833, to April, 1842, he commanded the Ganges, 84, which formed one of the fleet in the Mediterranean. He superintended, during the campaign of 1840 in Syria, the landing of the troops at D’Journie, and assisted at the bombardment of Beyrout, and the blockade of Alexandria. In 1843 to 1852 he was Commander-in-Chief at the Cape of Good Hope and the Brazil station. It was during his command at that station that he obtained the thanks of the Government for his activity and zeal in suppressing the slave trade. Shortly after his return home he was selected by the Admiralty, in May, 1857, for the post of Commander-in-Chief at Devonport, which appointment he filled up to October last. In 1838 he was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath, and in February, 1856, was made a Knight Commander of that most honourable order of knighthood. The late Admiral’s commissions bore date as follows:- Lieutenant, Sept. 18, 1801; Commander, Oct. 3,1810; Captain, Jan. 22, 1812; Rear-Admiral, Jan. 8,1848; Vice-Admiral, July 4, 1855 and Admiral, Nov. 1, 1860.

Valid HTML 5.0